NCTSN suggests opening an ongoing dialogue with your child.
- Talk about their feelings and validate them.
- Help them express their feelings through drawing or other activities.
- Clarify misinformation or misunderstandings about how the virus is spread and that not every respiratory disease is COVID-19.
- Provide comfort and a bit of extra patience.
- Check back in with your children on a regular basis or when the situation changes.
The CDC offers Six General Principles for Talking to Children:
- Remain calm and reassuring.
- Make yourself available to listen and to talk.
- Avoid language that might blame others and lead to stigma.
- Pay attention to what children see or hear on television, radio, or online.
- Provide information that is honest and accurate.
- Teach children everyday actions to reduce the spread of germs.